Monday, October 22, 2012

oh, dang. I love this skirt.

And the Fall Wardrobe Sewing continues:

This is Simplicity 2475,.. an "Amazing Fit" Pattern. I made this pattern once before, using a black ponte and houndstooth.

I was absolutely inspired by The Curry Skirt from Cabi. It was one of those things I "desired to the point of distraction" that I talked about a few days ago.


And then , in July, I was at Field's Fabrics in Holland, Michigan and there was that incredible, thick and amazing yellow ponte fabric. I knew I had a pattern, so it was only a matter of time before I made my own version using the Simplicity pattern.

And here it is:

And this is what I love about the right kind of ponte knit:




                  It stretches and recovers!  This is officially my favorite skirt in the closet right now!

Now, let me tell you how I changed this pattern...
1. No zipper.
2. Waistband is interfaced in the front, and there is 2" wide elastic inserted in the back.
3. Topstitched the seams.
4. Eliminated the vents.
5. My secret thrift store slip lining was added.


Next, I am using this same pattern to make a skirt from black stretch bengaline with a lace insert panel front and back....I'm so excited!



19 comments:

  1. Beautiful skirt and a lovely color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lines of this skirt, and your yellow version is a stunner. Great idea to elasticate the back waistband. I may go make one that way right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I have this pattern! The skirt is great. The color and fit are fantastic. Thanks for sharing the technique for the waistband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, your skirt looks fabulous. What a perfect color for winter. You look great, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great skirt! So, did you not sew the darts and then add the elastic? I'm trying to picture how you did that, it's a great idea! I agree that it's finding the good fabric that's the hard part. Yay for you finding such great yellow ponte!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous!!! That colour is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I love this color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! It's a bang-on match, but actually just a little bit better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous skirt!!! That color is gorgeous! That skirt definitely makes a statement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOu look amazing in it!!!!! wow, I'd never have guessed it if I saw it on a hangar in the store

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it too! You look very sharp and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ponte knit is my absolute favorite too. I am surrently making a LBD with ponte knit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this skirt is a knockout and I love how you handled the waist with elastic in the back only. Did you change anything with front princess seams to accommodate the stretch of the ponte knit?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!