Friday, June 3, 2011

It's no secret that I love things that other people throw away. And I love dead women's jewelry. Don't ask me why...I think it's my way trying to connect to something that I could only imagine...little remembrances of my mother when she was much younger...thoughts of what my grandmothers may have worn. Yesterday, JR and I spent the morning dodging raindrops and lightning bolts as we traveled from garage sale to garage sale. Could there possibly be anything better than pawing through someone else's trash to find my own treasure?

For just a few dollars, we scored some really cool stuff:

IMG_7786 IMG_7791

An set of card file drawers for $1.00, a small iron crib for $5....what can I do with this????

Patio table

A little table for the patio for $1.00.

And now, the best of the best...I could have peed my pants I was so excited!

IMG_7778

IMG_7780_1

IMG_7784

Vintage millenary flowers...those wonderful floppy and faded velvet, cotton and silk blossoms that were used to adorn hats. Just the sight of them makes me smile. I can imagine them tacked on a lovely blouse or pinned to a slouchy bag. They were a perfect find...and I spent a mere fifty cents.

JR could not image what the excitement was about, but you get it, don't you?

The same woman sold me a batch of wee vintage rhinestone pins...like little stars or snowflakes. I'll add these to my collection. I paid $2.00 for the lot.

IMG_7858

But the very best purchase of all? This sweet vintage St. Patrick's Day pin ( 50 cents) which a retired woman told me that her mother gave her when she was a little girl. I will wear it on my St. Patrick's Day birthday.

IMG_7785

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!