Monday, April 18, 2011

Bad blogger. Bad, bad blogger. Forgive me, readers, for I have fallen short... It has been 12 days since my last blog confession.

No thoughts, no feelings, no projects, no witticisms. No sewing, no knitting, no cooking, no gardening to report. Not that I haven't been doing all of these things, but I just haven't shared. And I've missed you!

Truth is, I have been working on one major project, and one only...that Military Jacket. Last I left you, I had my fitting done, and the muslin perfected. So, since then, a little here, and a little there, I have been throroughly enjoying the process of making this jacket.

IMG_7406

I am using Simplicity 2446 Amazing Fit , which I do believe, is probably the best fitted jacket pattern I have ever tried. Right from the package, I cut a 16 C cup, and it fits beautifully with a few very minor adjustments. At first cut it too large, and had WAAAAY too many adjustments to make, until I realized, duh, I just needed to go down a size! This pattern is perfection. But even so, MAKE A MUSLIN!!!!!

Of course, I'm making mega-mods along the way to get the styling I want...including some new tricks for me ( 0r at least things I haven't tried in so many years that they seem new!) ....

Faux welt pockets. (using Make a Dress Blog tutorial) Over a princess seam, no less.

IMG_7375 IMG_7376

Notched collar and lapel. (carefully following the pattern instructions...slowly and carefully)

A new sleeve placket (using Rusty Bobbin's tutorial)

IMG_7403

In addition, I completely changed up the sleeves to make a cuffed sleeve, decided to make this twill jacket unlined, added shoulder epaulets, and I narrowed the lapel.

IMG_7404

So, at this point, I'm set to do all of the finishing ( hem, buttonholes, top-stitching, etc) and I really want to take my time.

Buttons? I'm so in love with these buttons... they are just vintage-y yet non-traditional enough. IMG_7407

But I wonder, is if it too weird to use the same buttons that I used on another denim jacket that I have already made?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!