I love red coats. And the fact is, when I got the wool using Rhonda's gift card, I knew exactly that I wanted to make a red coat. Well, here it is, well past winter, and I finally made my red coat. Burda 7072.
I just love this coat! And, as I said in my previous post, I enjoyed making every bit of it.
I made no modifications other than the bound buttonholes.
The pattern is really unusual in the way that it all pieces together. There is a side panel and under arm panel that are stitched together and then joined to the upper sleeves and sides. Interesting and somewhat challenging construction. But I just love how pretty all those seams come together.
I made view B. The shorter version. My coat is lined with lavender bemberg rayon.
My one frustration, if any, is that the lining was drafted short for the coat. I originally wanted to make the longer sleeves, but I ended up having to shorten them because the lining was just not long enough as cut. The body of the coat lining is fine, but could have used an extra 1/2 inch or so in length.
Because this is a medium weight wool coat, I will get lots of use over three seasons. The length is perfect with jeans, a skirt or a dress. And the retro styling is fab. u. lous! SO cool!
So there it is. My Poppy Red coat is being entered in the Pattern Review Pantone Spring Color Contest, along with a Laurel shift dress.
I'll be sharing more photos of my coat worn with that wonderful dress in the next day or so!