Sunday, February 3, 2013

sometimes little things are fun to make

When I was a little girl, like many of you, I started sewing and pretty much immediately started making doll clothes. My babes were going to be the best dressed dolls around.  Isn't there something so sweet and perfect about little girls dressing their babies and Barbies?

Before Christmas, I was approached by a co-worker and commissioned to make nightgowns for her granddaughters, and matching  nightgowns for their American Girl dolls. Six sets. This was a fun little project.


The girls' Grandma was The. Hit. of. Christmas. I heard that they wore those nightgowns all day long!

This set was mailed to one granddaughter, who is reported as never ever wanting to wear other pajamas. Ever.





Hmm, can't find a picture of the polka dot nightie! 
All of the knit fabric came from Joann's. I used three patterns : Simplicity 1722, Simplicity 4388, and Simplicity 8488 for the big girls' nighties. I found comparable patterns that I could use for the doll nighties to get a similar look using Simplicity 7083 and Kwik Sew 3965 and a free American Girl's original pattern . 

Fast forward to a  few weeks ago. My co-worker said the girls have just gone on and on about their dolls and needing clothes for them, so now the birthday gifts are being planned. 

First up are these two outfits for the faraway granddaughter's doll:


I have to confess, this has been a fun little distraction from my sewing, and I've used up scraps and bits from my stash. And it provided me with some extra pocket money.  "Too buy what?" you may ask?

  A coat's worth of poppy red wool ...

and...


12 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! The nightgowns are SO CUTE! As are the little outfits!

    Can't wait to see your Anise jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sets are the sweetest things!
    Any knitted items for the dolls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Can't wait to see the new jacket, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't they all gorgeous and worth the effort of making them nightgowns.
    I look forward to seeing your new jacket too. Is it planned to go with your new dress?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! Can't wait to see that red coat on you. I think that pattern is next on my must buy and make list. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the idea too and I am sure my daughter would love a pair of matching dresses with her dolls someday. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. Lynne there are so soft looking and adorable. No wonder they were the hit of the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those gowns look adorable.Sewing for children is fun.Looks like a wonderful coat is waiting to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the cutest things ever!
    And I'm so glad that your time and care were truly appreciated by your co-worker... in the form of actual payment :) Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reminds me of how I started sewing!!! I used to wrap and stitch fabric around my dolls. Now after so many years, I still enjoy making doll clothes and I am 51 years old:D I love your blog!

    Loredana
    www.loredana61.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!