Monday, January 3, 2011


The jackets that I must have in my life are:

251046_6515_gmd323x335 Pl828532-02vliv01

A ponte knit or french terry blazer. These inspirations are from Ann Taylor Loft and ArynK for Piperlime. I really, really love the chain detail on the Aryn K jacket.

Mine will be made using McCall's 5935. Denver Fabrics has a nice selection of french terry.

Another fitted Chanel style jacket, with fringed edges, like this one fromCabi :

Stylegift

From my stash? A pink and black boucle will pair up nicely with Simplicity 2284.

IMG_6733


An everyday, fitted jacket made from medium weight stretch twill or brushed something.

19495423_020_b I love this Felix blazer fromAnthropologie. And what did I find in my stash? My version will be made from Simplicity 2446 using this blue brushed stretch something or other:

IMG_6730
I can substitute patch pockets and add the bottonholes on the lapel. Yes, I will do the buttonholes!

And for later in the year, a perfectly fitted wool blazer like this one:

J crew blazer

J Crew does it up right....for $995!!!! I have some beautiful Vera wool in raspberry and that should be more in line with my budget! I thought about it as a cape, but really, this would be luscious made with Claire Shaeffer's Custom Couture Vogue8333. How gorgeous!

IMG_6731

Jackets are a good thing. The older I get, the more I am realizing the importance of a simple, yet practical wardrobe that can be joushed up with an accessory, or a fun tweak in a detail. I heard Stacy and Clinton mention how easy it is to build a wardrobe.,, all you need to think of is a basic foundation ( pants, skirt) a layer ( blouse, top) and a finisher ( jacket cardigan). With those three pieces, you can create a wardrobe that is interchangeable and timeless. The trick is the perfect fit...which is why I am making my jackets instead of buying. So wish me luck in the fit department....

After browsing my closet, I realized, no kidding, I have six denim jackets, but no blazer type jackets other than my black suit!

So, the challenge is on. Lori is going to join me for a jacket sew-off....Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!