Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thanks for all of the suggestions! A girl has got to have girlfriends that will help her out in a desperate wardrobe situation!

Well, I shopped my closet, and then I shopped the thrift store. And then I made a little something to wear with the Kay Whitt skirt. And here's what I came up with :

Kay whitt skirt view 1
View 1 is an ivory cami with my old standby Ralph Lauren denim jacket.

Kay Whitt skirt view 3

View 2 is an Eddie Bauer top with an embroidered panel down the front...Thrift store find...$1.00!

Kay Whitt skirt view 2
View 3 is the top I finished today made from New Look 6894. I used plain old fashioned red gingham. This was a pretty easy pattern. I eliminated the back ties, and did my usual full bust adjustment ( Thank you Debbie Cook for your most excellant animated FBA tutorial!)

I love the scalloped neckline. It's so feminine. I was a little concerned that red gingham and a sweet neckline would be too Ellie May, but I think it works.

Kay whitt skirt close up

And if you look closely, you'll see an added something special:

IMG_8639

My own label....Which happened out of necessity.

I was serging away, finishing the bottom edge to prepare it for hemming, when suddenly, horror of horrors, I noticed that the fabric was folded under, and I ended up with a big gash right on the front of the blouse.

This required some quick thinking. I used steam-a-seam and a patch of gingham on the back side, and then made a patch with wide twill tape. Using Word, I printed a "No.59", then reversed it to print on iron-on transfer paper, thus creating my own personal lable!

So, who won the drawing for this little wardrobe contest? #12:

"I finally didn't miss one of your contests! A white eyelet top or cardigan with green and pink buttons to match the skirt." Li, my knitting blog buddy from Life's a Stitch!

And what did I make from all those skirt leftovers?

IMG_8588

A tote bag! Email me with your address, Li, and when I get back from vacation, I'll ship out your bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!