Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Here is a funny thing: observing your own mother falling in love. And it's a good and funny and sort of weird thing all at once. I just wanted to acknowledge that... seeing your mom make googly eyes and silly giggles and handholding a man named Bob is good and funny and weird and we like it. The darkness has lifted, and it's a joy to know that she looks forward to each day with excitement and anticipation of new adventures.

E_after_80---50226711--images--senior_dating_find_love_later_in_life_dating_relationship_meeting_someone_when_youre_older_2a64cefa9dc7abf464ee842986ff8373

Okay, that's that. Is anyone else in WNY tired of the rain and cold? I finally decided that if I want to get my sewing mojo back, I have to think Spring. I have to make a date with myself to sew a little each morning and evening. I have lots of ideas for Spring projects and I want to get going on them!

Last night I plowed into fitting the military jacket that I'm making...and fit issues there were...too big across the shoulders, too wide in the waist, too much bulk above the bust-line. I'm starting to think I should have gone down a size ( which really makes me feel good, especially since I feel like a big blob right now.) So, I think I finally have it all figured out, and can move on to setting in the sleeves and all that jazz.

IMG_7369

Isn't it interesting how just one perceived hurdle can mess with your head? With this jacket, for example, I was hung up for weeks on how to add a cuff to the sleeve...like a shirt sleeve...with a welt at the cuff opening, etc. It's not like I hadn't done it before, I just wanted to do flat felled seams, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out that welt. I decided that I wasn't going to do flat-felled seams and once I finally attacked the issue, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I worked out a solution.

It's kind of like that with a lot of things, really. We perceive a difficulty in life, scheduling, relationships, faith, etc. and it can freeze our momentum...lock us in a place where we're stuck instead of moving forward. Typically, the obstacle is much smaller than what we perceive, and the outcome is much easier than we would anticipate...it's just overcoming that fear of what could bung us up, and behold, we end up wondering why we even had an issue in the first place! Other times, the obstacle truly is huge and daunting. But it's the process of overcoming that ends up being more of the reward than just getting to the other side.

IMG_7361 IMG_7363 IMG_7364

My garden is finally peeking out to say hello! That makes me very happy.

So I wonder...

do you have an obstacle in your life right now?

do you remember your first love?

are you happy it's Spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!