Monday, January 27, 2014

Want to see some of what we've been doing?

Today, I realized that it's been a month since I've blogged. Or sewn anything. Or done much of anything other than work on the store. So here's the lowdown on the last month's major news.

We were sharing a space with someone to get our feet wet with the whole retail shop thing. Which was probably about the best thing that I could have done, but the worst thing I could have done! Worst because, it didn't take long at all to realize that I wanted our own space and that I had far too many ideas and limitations to stay where we were. Which turned out to be  good thing and a best thing!  For someone who is not much of a risk taker, it was really evident to me that if we weren't going to try to make a go of our own retail vintage shop NOW, we were never going to. My husband was totally on board.  Another opportunity came up and before you know it, we had two weeks to move, and six weeks to start renovations.

On Saturday, we open for our first day of business here:


This little cobblestone front 150 year old building on Main Street in a little historic village where we raised our families.

What JR and I had really hoped for was that we could acquire the space next door ( the yellow building) which had been in his family for three generations. But that didn't work out. And that's okay. But now I'm in love with  433 Main Street and can't WAIT to get up and running!   Want to see some of what we've been doing?

In a nutshell, demolition, re-building a window display and vestibule, restoring counters and shelves, stripping wall paper, plaster, and carpets, along with painting. Re-wiring and marketing . Just to name a few things! 












So, here we are. A million ideas, and even more butterflies.  I've never felt more sure and unsure about anything in my life!  Home and nesting and decorating and re-purposing are my passion. Helping others to see beauty and comfort in the things that are discarded has always been what makes my heart swell.  Creating a comfortable home from unique and interesting things is what we have always done. And I'm a little thrilled to have this opportunity to share it with another generation.

On Saturday, we'll be open for Wine About Winter.


On Sunday, it's my prayer that we will continue to have guests come through the door.


For inspiration, for treasure hunting, for classes and workshops. 

And the other best part? I'll have my own sewing space right there on site...so you know what I'll be doing !

Thanks for hanging in there with me during this transition. I'll let you know how it goes! 

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new venture! I truly wish I could be there on opening day so there would be a smiling face you "knew"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Lady!!! I'm so excited for you!!! I wish you all the best with your new store!!!! Many will benefit from your unique style and great eye!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have been working hard! Can't wait to see the pictures of the shop up and running. Best wishes for a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck and keep posting lots of pictures (but I hope you'll be ALMOST too busy to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fabulous!! What a great adventure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! No wonder you've been so busy! Best of luck to you on your new adventure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your hardwork is paying off in a huge way. This space will be amazing with your decorating and staging. I am so happy for you and JR. I am with Carolyn, I wish I could be there on opening day to see your big smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just about to email you to find out what you have been doing! Such a lot of reno work on the building - eek! Good thing you have a handy and willing husband.
    This will be fabulous! Best wishes for opening day. I wish I could be there. I promise I will get there eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking about you lately and wondered where you've been. I figured you were busy with the new business! It looks wonderful. Good luck and enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped by your blog over the week-end and decided that with a new business you were obviously veeerrry busy! Well, that just seems like an understatement after reading about your latest project. Wishing you great success in your continuing venture. Can't wait to see what you do. BTW, I feel a "special connection" with your brand- my first name is Ellen- not really a common name, yet there are 4 of us in my neighborhood with the same first name! Good karma?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting is this! Would love to visit when you're up and running. Thanks for taking us along on the journey. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so exciting ~ Can't wait to see follow up pics of the space when it's done. I really like the name too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great space! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been very busy, and I expect that will continue to be the case! Enjoy your new venture. If I lived closer I would definitely be stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So exciting! I'm sure it will be a lovely shop wish is was near me so I could stop in to wish you well on your opening. How great to have you own sewing space too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The store is looking great! Best of luck for your opening and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go for it! I am sure it will be a great success. I would definitely stop in if I lived nearby. And how lovely to have a sewing area on the premises.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No need for excuses, the pictures say it all.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!