Meet Butterick 5706. The first version.
This is a basic sheath with several options for sleeves, neckline and hemline.
And because this is such a basic dress, I think it’s essential to try to get the perfect fit. So, I started with my muslin.
I cut according to my high bust measurement and did a full bust adjustment. Then I tweaked from there….
Added an inch to the length,
Raised the neckline by about an inch
Took in the side seams below the bust and added some long shaping darts to the front waist area.
Added some width to the cap sleeve
And I don’t know where I went wrong, but after I cut out my dress from fabric, I realized that the shoulder/neckline area was gaping. I’ve had this issue before after doing the FBA and I believe I need to go down a size through the upper bodice and shoulder. Anyway, my quick fix was to remove some of that excess with a few darts at the neckline in the back of the dress and chopping out a section above the neckline in the front, adding a seam there. Then I embellished it with a button on each side.
Doing this, I was much more comfortable with the way the neckline laid against my body. No gaping.
So, I made some final adjustments to my pattern so that the next version, made from that stunning Kaffe Fassett print should be spot on perfect fit.
I am determined to make this the best fitting dress I have ever endeavored to sew!