Kate Spade trench coats, and all my sewing plans got put aside until I could make my own version. As usual, the Burda Style pattern is beautifully drafted, but requires a sewing skill set to work through the instructions. (you'll have to excuse my photos..I have been having some sucky camera issues of late)
This coat is made from a heavy cotton sateen from Joann's April Johnston for Project Runway , and lined with an anti-static lining.
I just love that unexpected surprise of cobalt blue. Every once in awhile, you can even get a peek of it up the sleeves. The 3/4 sleeves...a modification from the original pattern.
My other modifications? I raised the pockets by about 3 inches...they were exceptionally low on the original pattern.
The back has a very deep vent ( which you cannot see here!) One change I wish I had made was to make the coat a bit more A-line than it is.
I was about to put the lining in yesterday and started to seriously think about bound buttonholes. So, after practicing, I decided to go for it.
I found some excellent tutorials on line...
Gertie's bound buttonholes ( this is the method I used)
And Sharon's tutorial for finishing the back of the buttonhole.
And even though it took me a good part of the afternoon, I'm SO glad I added this extra special feature. And SO proud that I learned something new!
For me, I hit just the right mix of style and print and surprise, and I would certainly recommend using Burda 7360. It has interesting lines, a fabulous fit and some interesting design options.
Have a fabulous week, my friends!