Monday, August 15, 2011

Delicious Things

Help. There is chocolate cake in my house. Yesterday, we celebrated Meghan's birthday. And it's not a birthday in our family without homemade chocolate cake...the special, homemade, delicious birthday cake. I had a piece yesterday.

And there is still cake in the house.
Over the last year, about 15 pounds have snuck onto my bones without me looking. Menopause, laziness and lack of control have been my master. And now, it is time to get serious. Along with reading a great book this summer called Made to Crave, I have just completed one week using My Fitness Pal. Being able to have the app accessible on my phone has been just what I needed to get focused. It's like having my own diet conscience right in my purse. My own accountability partner. So I planned accordingly, and yesterday, I had cake.

Then, tonight I had cake. Maybe because my phone was no where near the kitchen when I opened the refrigerator and entered into the mindless lure of cake temptation. Maybe because I made the foolish decision not to send the whole cake home with Meghan. Maybe because cake and I can't be in the same county together when I'm at this place of vulnerability.

But, tomorrow is another day. As long as that cake is out of the house.

This weekend, among a zillion other things, I made another delicious confection. A homemade body scrub! There are oodles of recipes online, but I sort of concocted my own.


Lemon Lavender Body Scrub
Equal parts Neutrogena scentless body oil and coarse Kosher salt.
Fresh lemon zest and a little lemon essence oil.

To make it even more special, I thought of lavender. And
remembered that my neighbor had some in her garden.
I went begging, and threw in some chopped blossoms
and leaves to the mix. It gave a lovely scent and made it
even prettier.

Wrapped it all up in a pretty container to give as a gift. And, you know what? It really works! I'm thinking of trying a sugar/oatmeal/ cinnamon scrub for Fall.

And just so I can get goodies out of my system for the night, I will share my best pound cake recipe, which I served when Lori visited. With berries or on it's own. this cake is my go to recipe for dessert that is always perfect.

Sour Cream Pound Cake

Beat together 3 cups of sugar with 1 cup of butter. Add 6 eggs,
one at a time. Blend in 1 cup sour cream and 1 teaspoon of
good vanilla. Add dry ingredients ( 3 cups flour, 1/4 teaspoon
baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt) Beat until well blended.
Bake in a greased and floured tube pan at 300 degrees for about
an hour and 15 minutes or until done when tested.

Isn't it pretty all served up on my vintage Heller plates? One of my Michigan thrift finds!

So, now that I've got all that out of my system, I have a fresh outlook. Tomorrow IS another day, and I am going to get up early for a fast walk and a healthy breakfast. And my Fitness Pal will not leave my side all day!

Will you try either of these recipes? What is your weakness?

7 comments:

  1. Yea, the cake recipe, it is sooo delicious. My weakness, how much room do you have on this comment? Cookies, brownies, cake, little debbie cosmic brownies, donuts, anything chocolate and sweet!
    I try to walk everyday, at least 2 miles and then if I eat too many of the above, then I walk more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain! If there are goodies in my house, they call my name and I can't rest until they are gone!!! (And I don't mean in the trash!) I was thinking of joinung WW online but will look at My Fitness Pal. Do you need a weight loss buddy? I think it is helpful to have someone to help you with accountability. It you do, let me know and I will start with the plan with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this means my plan to bring cinnamon buns with me next week (next week!) are off then, huh?

    The sour cream pound cake sounds amazing. My weakness is well, pastries, like cinnamon buns. There will be birthday cake in my house this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Lynne!!! I'll definitely try both. I think after being out of town for work my body would do well to have a great scrub and some wonderful cake. Thanks for sharing!!! My weakness at the moment has crazily been kettle corn. But I'm slowly kicking the habit. Now I need to find a new one. Hope to do that soon!!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweets of most types. Chocolate especially. I like having a little every day but it doesn't always stay 'little'. I like baked good also but those are easier to turn down if not homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have had those pounds sneaking up in me and my increasing pants size! My weakness: potato chips.....but i gave them up for a month and a half...then I bought some and they made me feel sick....
    was this good? I dont know.

    I want that pound cake. i hate dry pound cake and it looks awesome....
    Other weakness: french fries. guac and chips, Christmas cookies, dark chocolate. sno caps, baby ruth, mc donalds in an y form....
    do you want more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My weakness most often is sweets of any kind. I always feel as if I deserve a reward for just breathing. Like most, I tend to overdo it. Around 9 pm I want cheese curls, ice cream or cheese popcorn. Alas, life is short.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!