March 29, 2011
Over the years, I've had some interesting jobs. By far, I will always say that my favorite job was working at the public library. In fact, I loved it so much that after I left, I went back and worked a second time! I am a huge supporter of public libraries..
Ten reasons to use the public library:
1. BOOKS! And if your library doesn't have the one you want, you can inter-loan it. AND if you can't inter-loan it, you may very well be able to order it and be the first one on the list to borrow the book.
2. Interesting people spend time in the library. No kidding, I have a million stories about those interesting people...most of them don't even know they are interesting.
3. You can get any kind of information that you need...once a man came in with a fish in a bucket, wanting us to identify it. He caught it while fishing in the Erie Canal. I looked at that fish and knew right away it was a piranha!
4. Audio Books...for vacation and drive time. And DVD's for watching...all free!
5. You can borrow as many books as you can carry at one time. Which is a pretty cool thing. And you can find the books that you used to read as a kid..."Little House on the Prairie"," Nancy Drew", "B is for Betsy", and the Frances books...they're all still there!
6. Libraries have great children's programs. And great adult programs.
7. A library is the only place in existence where you can transcend time, get lost in someone else's life, become an expert on any subject, pretend you are a child again, just look at the pictures, explore the world, have peace and quiet.
8. Usually, you can find some real treasures of genealogy or local history...you just have to ask!
9. Libraries still have hard copies of encyclopedias. I love that.And they still use the Dewey Decimal System, which is brilliant.
10. A library is a great place to make a donation in memory of someone...choose a special book to represent a special person and your investment will benefit generations of readers for years to come.